[NI0003] [Usa.ftw]

First male Bicknell born in the USA.

Ref. T.W Bicknell's 1913 Book page 8
John Bicknell spent the whole of his long and useful life in
Weymouth. His occupation was that of a farmer and cooper,
as shown by the inventory of his personal estate.
It is probable that he built the east part of the old house now standing at North
Weymouth, known as "The John Bicknell House," and that this
house was his home for a considerable part of his life.
He was buried at Burial Hill, between North and East Weymouth.
The headstone of his grave bears this inscription :


Near his grave is that of his son, Joseph, who died, 1719, in
the twenty-second year of his age. The headstone of Joseph's
grave is the oldest Bicknell monument in Weymouth.

John Bicknell's will was dated April 1, 1724, and probated
August 16, 1737. Witnesses, John Torrey, John Torrey, Jr., and
Josiah Torrey. An ahstract of the will: John Bicknell, Weymouth,
husbandman, gives to his wife, Sarah, the yearly incomcome
of the whole estate, during her naturaf life, except two beds and
the furniture belonging to them, which I dispose of as follows,
viz.: "To my son, Ebenezer, that bed and bedding he makes
use of for his own lodging over and above his portion." "To
my daughter, Sarah Bicknell, that bed and bedding she makes
use of for her lodging." "To my daughter, Mary Turner of
Bridgewater, I give 40; to Sarah, 40."
After his death and that of his Wife, he gives his whole estate
to his four sons, John, Zachariah, Benjamin and Ebenezer, to be
divided equally-John and Ebenezer to improve the sme for his
widow during her life. If his daughter, Sarah, sllall remain
unmarried and become disabled, the four sons are to support her,
"If any should be dissatisfied with the will and become troublesome
to the others by any suit at law, then such an one to have
but five shillings and no more."
Suffolk Probate Files, Oct. 7, 1737.

Inventory of John Bicknell's Estate.

s. d.
Housing and lands 1807 10 0
Wearing apparel, 6.8s.; 20 oz. sitver money, 20 26 8 0
Bills of credit, 20; bonds due the estate, 71.7s.9d 91 7 0
Notes of hand and other debts due 79 16 0
Two old beds and bedding 15 16 0
A bed and bedding to Ebenezer 11 2 6
A bed and bedding to Sarah 15 0 0
Two Bibles and Sermon Books, 22s; pewter dishes, 6 7 2 0
Brass kettle, skillets and warming pan 5 13 0
2 iron pots and hooks, iron kettle, skillet and frying pan 2 5 0
2 prs. and irons, trammel, spit, fire slice and tongs 1 7 0
Coopers tools and sundry sort of old iron materials 2 7 0
An iron box, 3 glass bottles, pepper box and spectacles 7 10 0
Scales, weight and earthenware, 14s.2d.; cask cyder, 35s 2 9 2
5 old sheets, 24s; a round table, cupboard and chair, 53s 3 17 0
An old saddle and bridle, 17s.; a grindstone and 2 old bags, 11s 1 8 0
Old wooden lumber of sundry sorts 2 2 6
An old musket, 2 old swords, and powder horn 17 0
One cow, 9; one M. boards, 5 14 0 0
Total 2090 15 9

Account of John and Ebenezer Bicknell, executors,
charge themselves with the amount of real estate
and personal inventory 2090 1 11
Ask to be allowed, paid for vails 4 10 0
22 pr. men's and 7 pr. women's gloves 11 13 0
6 gals. of wine for funeral 2 8 0
Expenses to Boston 1 9 0
Mary Turner legacy 40 0 0
Sarah Sargent legacy 25 0 0
Bed and bedding 15 0 0
Gravestones 6 0 0
101 10 0

[NI0014] [Usa.ftw]

From T.W Bicknell's 1913 Book page 12

Thomas removed from Weymouth to Middleboro, Massachusetts.
where he carried on the trade of a blacksmith.
His Widow, Ann, was appointed administratrix of his estate.
Homestead, outlands and meadow, 500; personal, mostly
blacksmith's outfit, 150;
Total value of estate, 650

[NI0022] [Usa.ftw]

Died in an Auto accident

[NI0047] [Usa.ftw]

From T.W. Bicknell's 1913 genealogy book page 17

Zachariah was admitted to full communion in the Congregational Church, Barrington, Rev. Peleg Heat, minister, March 26, 1732.
About 1735 he removed with his family to Ashford, Connecticut.
He was elected ensign of the train-band and was promoted to the captaincy.
He was an active and useful citizen and an influential member of the Congregational Church of Ashford.

[NI0065] [Usa.ftw]

Died with Smallpox

[NI0067] [Usa.ftw]

He began his employment as a runner and advanced to Senior Vice-President and Executive Officer.
He lived his early years, until he was sixteen, in Cason, Texas.
He moved to Shreveport and began his employment with the bank on December 17th 1919
After retiring he moved to Mena, Arkansas and was involved in cattle ranching.

[NI0068] [Usa.ftw]

He started his employment with the bank as a runner when he was 15 years old.
His time with the bank was continuous except for the time he spent in the army during WWII and a year spent after his discharge working for Allison Division of general Motors.
After he retired he traveled all over the USA, Mexico and Canada.

[NI0090] [Usa.ftw]

From T.W. Bicknell's 1913 genealogy book page 308

Abel was a farmer at West Fairlee, Vermont, going to Stowe, Vermont
in 1839, and moving to Norwich, Vermont in 1844, Living on his
farm until 1906, when he moved to the village of Norwich, Vermont.

Abel purchased land in Vershire, Vermont on August 19 1854

[NI0092] [Usa.ftw]

From T.W. Bicknell's 1913 genealogy book page 184

John moved from West Fairlee, Vermont, to Stowe, Vermont,
while young, and from there to Norwich, Vermont, in 1844,
where he died.

[NI0094] [Usa.ftw]

Kent purchased land in Vershire, Vermont on November 11 1797.

[NI0099] -----------
From D.G. Jones, author of online 5th addition

Of interest: Peter Bicknell may have served in the French and Indian War with Capt. David Perry (who was a private and then a sergeant during the war). Or perhaps Hezekiah Bicknell may have served during the War of 1812. Peter's grandson Elra, son of Hezekiah, owned a copy of Recollections of an Old Soldier, the autobiography of Capt. David Perry (1741-1826). Although "Elra was deeply interested in the history of the family and collected a large amount of material for preservation of the family connections," there was no relation. However, Peter Bicknell lived in the same areas as David Perry for much of his life, as did Hezekiah, and Elra probably heard David Perry's stories as a child. His copy of Recollections, which is owned by the Connecticut State Library at Hartford, bears the inscription "Elra Bicknell. His Book. Orange County, Tunbridge, VT 1828."


[NI0100] [Usa.ftw]

From T.W. Bicknell's 1913 genealogy book page 21

Peter was an influential citizen of the town while Barrington
and Warren were one town, and was elected as a
Deputy in the General Assembly of Rhode Isalnd, 1750 and 1757.
In 1762 he was chairman of a commitee to lay out a street
through the compact part of Warren.

In the inventory of the goods and chattels of Peter Bicknell,
made by Solomon Peck and Samuel allen, appear these items.

Five cows, 11 2s
Four calves 2
Fifty Sheep 12 10s
One horse, saddle and bridle 7
Two steers 3 12s
Four swine 2
One negro boy named Cuff 20
One negro boy named Pomp 3
One negro woman named Merea 35

From his stone in Princes Hill Cemetery, Barrington, RI, USA:
"Here lieth all that was mortal of Peter Bicknell, Efq. whofe soul quitted this earthly tabernacle on the 21ft day of December AD 1768, in ye 63 year of his age. No wealth, nor strength nor friend nor paris(?) can refcue from death's peircing darts then mind thy door and pafsing... "

[NI0101] [Usa.ftw]

From T.W. Bicknell's 1913 genealogy book page 22

Her tombstone at Princes Hill Cametary bears these lines:

"Thrice happy change it is for me
From earth to heaven removed to be"

[NI0102] [Usa.ftw]

Ref. T.W. Bicknell's 1913 Book page 10

Zachariah Iived in Weymouth at least ten years after his
marriage, when he removed with his family to the western part
of Swansea, MA., now Barrington, R. I., locating on the west
bank of the Sowams or Barrington River. His farm of about
two hundred acres included Princes Pond and lay north of the
crest of Princes Hill, between the river on the east and the
middle highway on the west. His house stood about five hundred
feet west and north of the site of the Congregational meeting
house, now known as "The White Church," Barrington.
Mr. BtckneIl was one of the founders of the town of Barrington
and of the CongregationaI Church; the establishment of the
church being the main motive for the creation of the town.
Barrington was originally a part of the old town of Swansea,
MA. Here, on what is now Barrington soil, the first Baptist
Church in Massachusetts was organized by the Rev. John Myles,
of Swansea, Wales, in 1663. This church drew to Swansea a
large number of Baptist families from Plymouth and Massachusetts
Bay Colonies. Many other families of the Congregational
faith came to occupy the lands along the bay and rivers
"on the westward end of Swansea," and these were moved to
organize a church of their own order.
In 1711, a petition signed by twenty-nine persons, of whom
Zachariah Bicknell was one, living on "the westward end of
Swansea," was sent to the General Court of Massachusetts, asking
that a new town be formed "according to the limits of Captain
Samuel Low's military company in Swansea, thereby enabling
us to settle and maintain a pious, learned and orthodox minister
for the good of us and our posterity." This movement was
strongly opposed by the major element, the Baptists, and the first
petition was denied. The struggle for a church and a town continued
until Nov. 18, 1717, when, on the petition of Zachariah
Bicknell, Josiah Torrey and Samuel Humphrey, agents for the
Congregational Society of Swansea, the General Court of Massachusetts
ordered a new town to be made on the lines already
named and called it Barrington. As the English home of the
Bicknell family was the parish of Barrington, in Somersetshire,
England, it is evident that the name of our Rhode Island town
was given by Zachariah Bicknell, in honor of his grandfather's
church and parish in the old home land.
Mr. Bicknell was a useful Ieader in town and church affairs.
In 1718 he was chosen one of a committee of three "to treat
with Rev. Samuel Torrey," the town minister, as to his salary.
The town meeting adjourned to meet at his house, "at five
o'clock in thc afternoon." In 1719 he was chosen as town
assessor of taxes and one of a committee to adjust the county
rates with Swansea, In 1720 he was elected as the deputy of
the town to the General Court at Boston; he was also surveyor
of highways.
In 1721 he was chosen to represent the town at Boston for
an equitable taxation of Barrington land, owned by citizens of
Rehoboth. In 1722 he was chosen town constable and was
allowed 1 10s. for use of a room in his house for a five months'
school. In 1724 he was chosen an assessor, a selectman and
chairman of a committee as to rebuildmg Myles Bridge, in
Swansea. In 1725 he was moderator of the town meeting and
was allowed 6s. for a house to keep school in. In 1726 he was a
selectman, an assessor and one of a committee on pulpit supply.
In 1728 he was one of a committee "to lay out a burying place,
and to agree with Ebenezer Allen what to give him for the
ground." The committee gave Mr. Allen 5 for half an acre of
land for a burial place; the oldest part of the present beautiful
cemetery at Princes Hill, Barrington. In 1730 he was allowed
18s. for serving as trustee of the bank for two years; 14s. for use
of school-room in his house, 1728; 20s, for school-room for 1729,
and 15s, for keeping Rev. Peleg Heath's horse. In 1733 he was
chosen town treasurer and in 1734 moderator.
On June 10, 1734, Mr. Bicknell deeded to "Nathaniel Peck,
Josiah Humphrey and James Bicknell and to all the church and
congregation of God's people in Barrington of the Congregtional
or Presbyterian principle and to their heirs forever a
certain piece or parcel of land for them to build on and to set
up a meeting house for them and theirs to worship and serve
God from generation to generation in the Congregational or
Presbyterian way of worship." The land described and donated
is the property now owned and occupied by the Congrchrational
Society of Barrington, on which the Congregational meeting
house now stands. It was valued at 20. In case of the removal
of the meeting house the land reverts to the heirs of the donor
It is probable that Mr. BicknelI died in 1734, as his name
does not appear in the town records after that year. He was
then sixty-six years old. The date of death of his wife, Hannah,
is unknown. Both were probably buried in the family lot on the
farm, about fifty rods west of their dwelling. All evidences of
the old family burial place are now entirely, obliterated.

Ref. Phyllis Bicknell Carroll's 1981 book

Zachariah lived in Weymouth at least ten years after his marriage, then moved with his family to the western part of Swansea, Massachusetts (Now Barrington, Rhode Island).
He was one of the founders of the town of Barrington and of the Conregational Church there.
About 1734 Zachariah & Hannah with most of their family (only Peter seems to have remained in Barrington) moved to Ashford, Connecticut.

[NI0104] [Usa.ftw]

From T.W Bicknell's 1913 Book page 4

Born the only child of Zachary and Agnes Bicknell
Became a prominent and useful citizen of the town of Weymouth. Mass
He was one of the Board of Selectmen of the town for many years and a Deputy in the General Court of the Colony of Massachusetts Bay for years begining May, 1677 and 1678.
For services for 33 days in 1677 he received 3 Shillings a day.
He was a carpenter by trade, of which the town records bear witness in 1661, as follows:
"Bro. Bicknell, for making the meeting house tite, 3 pounds."

Page 5
John's will is dated Nov. 6, 1678, and allowed Jan,
20, 1678-9. The witnesses were John Dyer, Joseph Shaw, and
Joseph Dyer. He names his wife, Mary Bicknell, and his son,
John, as the executors.
He gave all his estate to his wife, so long as she shall remain
his widow, to bring up the children to the age of twenty-one,
(except 20 acres of upland and 1 1/2 acres of salt meadow, which
he gave to his son, John).
He gave to his daughters 15 each, and to the three children
of John Dyer, viz.: John, Thomas and Benjamin, 5 each, being
his grandchildren, by his daughter Mary.
In Suffolk Deeds, Boston, Book VIII, p. 38, a deed is recorded
of a sale of a parcel of land in Boston to John Bicknell
"neere unto a place comonly called by the name of Halsey's wharf
-a part of ye demised premises is a part of the said wharf
which containeth in breadth ali the end next the street and next
the sea, twenty and six foote." The consideration was 50.
The deed was from Robert Cox, mariner, to John Bicknell, carpenter,
dated Jan. 6, 1671, and acknowledged Nov. 11, 1672.
Witnesses, Thomas Watson and Stephen French.
John Bicknell, the carpenter, was a man in constant service
in the new settlement as soon as axes, adzes, and saw mills couId
convert the oak and pine forests into lumber for the more comfortable
and commodious frame houses to take the place of the
primitive log cabins. As he was a man well known in thc town,
it is probable that many of the old houses of Weymouth were
built by our ancestor, whose hours of labor were from sunrise
to sunset, and his compensation not exceeding a dollar a day.
Even with small wages and frugal fare, John became an extensive
landholder, was one of the strong supporters of thc Congregational
Church and worship, and in town and Colony business
held high rank for intelligence, judgment, honesty and large
capacity for public affairs. His children were brought up to
habits of industry, His two older sons becoming landholders and
Farmers, and the younger, Thomas, a blacksmith. John died,
January, 1679, aged 55, and was buried at Burial Hill, Weymouth.


HTML created by GED2HTML v3.6-WIN95 (Jan 18 2000) on 06/10/2008 11:18:41 AM GMT Standard Time.