[NI3473] [Usa.ftw]

From T.W. Bicknell's 1913 genealogy book page 392

The following statement of Mr George S Bicknell is so
thoroughly flavoured with truthfulness of confession and
with much common experience that it will be read with
interest by Bicknells:

"I, George S Bicknell, was born in the town of Colton,
County of St. Lawrence, State of New York, and lived with
my parents until the age of fourteen years, when I went for myself,
The next four years I worked out on a farm summers and went
to school winters and succeeded in getting a common district
school education. Besides clothing myself, I laid by $100 in
money. At the age of eighteen, I enlisted in the Eleventh New
York Cavalry, and served as a volunteer in the Union army two
years of the Civil War, at the end of which time the war closed
and I received an honorable discharge and returned home.

I married Amelia J. Anderson and commenced farming on a rented
farm, which I worked three years, when I purchased a small
farm of my own. At the age of twenty-five I had accumulated
$4,000. I invested in a mercantile business, continuing it three
years, was unsuccessful and lost it all.

Since that time I have
been digging into hard work as a farmer to maintain my wife
and flock of little children, which I have been fortunate enough
to raise. This is the principal part of my record for the past.
The future is yet to come."

[NI3531] [Usa.ftw]

From T.W. Bicknell's 1913 genealogy book page 282

Josiah went west and but little is known of his history or
Family except that he married twice and had two sons by the
second marriage.
Thier residence seems to have been in or near Lyons, Iowa.

[NI3533] [Usa.ftw]

From T.W. Bicknell's 1913 genealogy book page 161

Thomas remained at home to care for his father and mother,
occupy the farm, pay off the debts and finally own it. His first
business venture outside the farm was to build a bridge across
the Racquette River, in the town of Pierrepont. After the death
of his father and mother, Thomas M. moved to Norwood, N. Y.,
where he was a policeman several years.

[NI3536] [Usa.ftw]

From T.W. Bicknell's 1913 genealogy book page 283

Miss Adah B. Bicknell lives on the Bicknell homestead,
owned by her father and grandfather, Ralph, the latter removing
from Vermont about 1828, and buying this farm in Parishville,
N. Y. The family records were lost in a fire that destroyed
the house, and until recently, the family has not known
its connection with our New England history, holding only the
tradition of a Connecticut origin. Even our thorough historian,
Quincy Bicknell, could not restore the missing links in this family
chain and had placed the whole of Ralph's family in the
"unclassified list."

The present editor, in ransacking the town
records of Enfield, Conn., found a Josiah Bicknell of Ebenezer',
who married Penelope Abbe, of that town, and had a son, Ralph,
born at Enfield Nov. 18, 1790. Later, in another connection, he
found that this Ralph moved North with the great Connecticut
migration into New Hampshire and Vermont, settled in Canaan,
N. H., and married Parna Maria Hibbard, Dec. 25, 1813. The
missing link, Josiah, was found in the very voluminous records
of that ancient and honorable town of Enfield, Conn., to which
he refers all students of our Bicknell family history.
Miss Adah B. Bicknell has been a valuable assistant in completing the
records of this remarkable branch of our family.

[NI3541] [Usa.ftw]

From T.W. Bicknell's 1913 genealogy book page 395

William was County Superintendent of Schools
of Stevens County, Minnesota, from 1886 to 1890; was County
Attorney of Stevens County from 1895 to 1907, and was a member
of the Legislature of Minnesota from January 1907, to January, 1911.

Mr. Bicknell was Chairman of the Committee on Crimes and
Punishments in 1907, and Chairman of the Judiciary Committee
in the session of 1909. He was characterized as an insurgent
leader and one of the strongest reformers in the House, favoring
and framing bills relating to a reform in the roles, direct
legislative work, equitable tax legislation, equitable freight rates
on railroads, and many other progressive measures.
Several of these bills became the laws of the State.

When Mr. Bicknell left Minnesota for Idaho, he was given
a reception by the Masons of Stevens County, and was presented
with a Past Eminent Commander's Jewel by Judge Brown, who
spoke of him, in part, as follows:

"While here he has been one of the most prominent citizens
of the city, not uproarious in proclaiming his virtues or
prominence, but in his own modest way taking part in public affairs
and exercising a wholesome influence for public good. He has
been entrusted with public office, and the charge of dereliction
of duty is yet to be made against him. During all his years in
Morris his character as a man and a citizen has never been, assailed.

His integrity has never been questioned, and his friendship
has always been and still is loyal and true. In fact, we find
in him a living example of the Masonic character, moral and
upright before God and of good repute before the world.

"He discharged his duties as county attorney with ability and
fairness, without enmity or ill will toward an accused person,
which a public prosecutor must exercise in the discharge of
his duties. He served his clients, and protected their rights with
clear head, and no one has claimed that he ever took as fees all
that he recovered for his client, and then sent in a bill for the
balance due him for services rendered in the cause. In the
discharge of his legislative duties he established the reputation of
being able, clear-headed and a square man, always to be depended
upon and absolutely reliable."

Mr. Bicknell is a graduate of the State Normal School, Potsdam,
N. Y., 1880; also University of Michigan, 1885, Law Department,
Degree, L. L. B., and is now a practitioner at Caldwell,
Idaho, 1913. Attends the Congregational Church.

[NI3610] [Usa.ftw]

From T.W. Bicknell's 1913 genealogy book page 162, 163, 164 and 165

Mr. Bicknell was a man of high ideals and lived a long and
useful life, devoted to active work as a teacher of youth and as
a Christian minister. His early life was spent in labor on the
farm. He attended Andover Academy from 1817 to 1820, when
he entered Dartmouth College, in August, 1820; taught school
in Portsmouth, N. H., winter of 1820-21, at $60 a month; married
Miss Morse March 31, 1822, and became a preceptor of the
academy at Marblehead, MA.; closed his school work in
Marblehead July 7, 1824, and commenced in Salem July 8. In August,
1825, he was examined at college and received his diploma as a
graduate, and then devoted himself to teaching. In the work of
preparing young men for college he became distinguished. He
taught successfully in Marblehead and Salem, MA., Jericho, Vt.,
and Malone, N. Y., in all of which places he prepared many
young men and women for higher education or for the world's
work. His specialty was academic an(1 high-school instruction.
L. F. Willows, in an anniversary address in Jericho, Vt., said:
"There are three pleasant villages in the town of Jericho, Vt.;
the `Center' is the oldest. here is where the historic academy has
stood for more than seventy-five years, in which the higher grade
of studies were taught and pupils fitted for college by Simeon
S. Bicknell and others. There were many men and women who
went out from this school and became prominent in business and
professional life." Mr. Bicknell taught here from 1826 to 1831.

In the Franklin Academy at Malone, N. Y., he taught as
the first Principal from December, 1831, to 1836. William A.
Wheeler, late Vice-President of the United States, was one of
his pupil students. Mr. Wheeler wrote in 1883 as follows con-
cerning his teacher of a half century earlier: "I boarded in Mr.
Bicknell's family for a year and was a pupil at Malone Academy
several years. Mr. Bicknell was not only a marked man, but the
most thorough and successful teacher I have ever known, although
I have been connected with the cause of education in different
capacities for more than thirty years. No boy ever passed under
his hands without receiving an imprint which shaped him for
life, and many, including myself, throughout the land regard the
impetus and instruction received from Principal Bicknell as the
foundation of their success in after life."

The historian of "Milton College," once an academy, wrote in
1876: "Near the beginning of December, 1884, a select school
was opened in the academy, under the charge of Rev. Bethuel
Church, who came from Michigan on an invitation to teach. He
taught two terms. The next teacher of any strength was Rev.
S. S. Bicknell, a Congregational clergyman. He was a graduate
of Dartmouth College, a thorough scholar, a courteous gentleman,
patient in his labors, and an accomplished teacher. He drew in
the students from other localities, and formed the basis of the
real academic course of studies. About seventy students were in
attendance each year." He states that his pupils were "studious,
exemplary in their habits, seemed to appreciate rightly tile ad-
vantages of an education, and used most diligently the means
necessary to acquire it."

His eulogist said of him at his funeral: "In the year 1838, at
the age of forty-two, he was ordained to the work of the gospel
ministry, and became pastor of a Presbyterian Church in Coy-
erneur, N. Y. Here he labored for five or six years. He then
returned to Jericho, Vt., where for two or three years he both
preached and taught. In the spring of 1845 he came to `Wis-
consin, and went to Fort Atkinson, Wis. Thirty-one years of
his life have heen passed here and in this vicinity. For a year
he worked a farm in Oakland, then he removed to Milton and
engaged in teaching as Principal in an academy there, now Milton
College, and in preaching to the Congregational Church there.
He also extended his labors to Koshkonong and Mount Zion.
Here he spent some five years. In the fall of 1851 he was invited
by the Fort Atkinson congregation to be their minister. This
invitation he accepted, preaching here one year. I am told that
he preached his first sermon in the first house of worship erected
by his church, and that he taught the first school in the first
schoolhouse built in this village. Then for two or three years
he preached at Jefferson. Then he removed to Johnstown, in this
State, taking charge of the Congregational Church there. Here
he spent several years. He then returned to this place and began
supplying the Koshkonong Church, and occasionally that at Mil-
ton. This closed his ministerial work. Age and growing infirmi-
ties made it necessary for him to stop. The last years of his life
were spent in Fort Atkinson, in the quiet and retirement of his
home, surrounded by kind children and loving neighbors and
friends. And though they have been years of physical infirmity,
debarring him from much participation in public matters, still
they have been years of peace.

"`Mark the perfect man and behold the upright, for the end
of that man is peace.'

"Father Bicknell lived to a good old age. The Bible accounts
long life a privilege, a blessing. So should we regard it. Let us
thank God for the long life he permitted this servant of his to
live - that for thirty years he was permitted to be engaged in
that most important work, the training of young minds, and for
thirty more years in directing souls in the way of eternal life;
that for more than fifty years he was permitted to live in happy
marriage, and that ten children were permitted to call him father.
A good constitution, well preserved, and going to pieces only
when no longer needed, is something to be thankful for.

"He was also a man of quiet, steady usefulness, both as a
teacher and preacher. He was a man of few words. He had
no lofty aspirings to do good. He was contented to do good in
humble ways. How many have said of him, `He starred me in
my education,' `He helped me in my Christian life. None can
rise up and say of him, `He corrupted my mind.' This whole
community can testify to his quiet Christian life and influence.

"He was an honest man. Though he was not rich or widely
known or honored, yet he was what was better, a man of moral
integrity; he lived to do good, and he has left his children, what
they will find to be better than lands or money, a clear name, a
godly example, the memory of a life devoted to the best and
noblest of purposes. He was honest in his religion as in worldly
affairs. He bore his share in the burdens of life. But he did it
patiently. He was industrious. He worked almost till the end.

"And now that he rests from his labors, his works do follow him."

[NI3647] [Usa.ftw]

From T.W. Bicknell's 1913 genealogy book page 288

Anthony served as a soldier in the Civil War as a private in Co. E, First Wisconsin Heavy Artillary

[NI3655] [Usa.ftw]

From T.W. Bicknell's 1913 genealogy book page 165, 166 and 167

Nathaniel grew from boyhood in a home atmosphere of economy
and work. The sturdy characteristics of honest and industrious
ancestors were early developed in him. When he was about
twelve years old, his father, who had previously guaranteed a
note for a neighbor, lost his farm and all his possessions through
the dishonesty of that neighbor. With a few necessary articles
loaded onto a lumber wagon, he. with his faithful wife and clhil-
dren, departed for Vermont, and sought a new home on a farm
near Underhill, within sight of Mansfield Mountain.

There, with courage undaunted, among new scenes and by the
strictest economy, they builded again. As the eldest son, Simeon,
had secured a scholarship, which promised too good an oppor-
tunity for an education to be ignored, it devolved upon Nathaniel,
the second son, to become the outside source of revenue of the
family in order to make the new effort at home-building a

With younger brothers and sisters to be supported and edu-
cated, he cheerfully laid aside all plans for his own future, Se-
cured work upon the farm of Mr. Chittenden (for whom the
county of Chittenden, in Vermont, was named), and for years
gave his earnings toward paying for the home farm. Apple and
pear seeds, brought with them from the farm in New Hampshire,
were planted by the father, and the family lived to enjoy the
fruit from that orchard. (The writer speaks from personal knowl-
edge that when the last pear tree was over one hundred years
old, years after those two generations had been gathered to their
forefathers, it bore over a bushel of luscious fruit, and was
still standing, a monarch of the old place, in 1911.) Not until Na-
thaniel was thirty-seven years old did he feel free to plan for
himself. On Feb. 2, 1833, he married, in Richmond, Vt., Fanny
Thompson, youngest daughter of Josiah and Mrs. Lucy Has-
kins Thompson. They bought a farm near his father's, where
they resided twelve years, and here their three children, Mary
Ellen, John Dustin and Frederick Thompson Bicknell, were born.
Afterward they moved nearer Jericho Center, but in 1853, wish-
ing for a broader and easier life for their children than had been
their portion, they went to Wisconsin and bought a farm in Jeffer-
son County, five miles west of Lake Mills. Although often suf-
fering the pangs of homesickness for old Vermont and his kin
folks, he never yielded to its influence, but made for himself and
family a substantial home, where he and his wife continued to
enjoy life until their children were grown and he had reached the
age of seventy-one. He died May 10 1867, loved and respected
by relatives, neighbors and friends.

In politics he was a Whig, as was his father before him; later
he affiliated with the Republican party and supported Lincoln.

In his neighborhood he served his term on the School Board
and as Esquire and Town Clerk, and was ever ready to contribute
of his hard-earned cash to help maintain schools, church services,
and to promote social life and high ideals. During the Civil War,
being too old to offer himself, he proved his patriotism by
willingly loaning a son to serve his country.

Tall of stature, standing six feet two inches, with a command-
ing presence and an honest blue eye, he was a man whom all
trusted and esteemed. Naturally of a serious temperament, he
was most fortunate in choosing a wife of a sunny, hopeful dis-
position. "Aunt Fanny" and "Uncle Nat," as they were known
to all their relatives, never failed in a warm welcome to friend
as well as kin. There you found the true New England hospitality,
which included meals and a bed to many a weary wayfarer.

His wife survived him three years, dying July 31, 1870.. A
handsome and substantial granite monument, erected by their
three children in 1909, in the beautiful cemetery at Lake Mills,
Wis., marks the last resting place of their earthly remains; but
they still live in the hearts of their two surviving children and
in the lives of their grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Who
shall say that the rocks and the ridges of that stony, hilly
country in New Hampshire and Vermont did not help to implant stability,
industry and frugality in the characters of thosc people, who
toiled early and late to build for themselves a comfortable home
and an honest name for posterity !

Sleep, gently sleep, nor know the night has come.
No dreams to mar that sacred rest.

So let them lie until the judgment day.
Esteemed of man, but by Jehovah blest !

[NI3659] [Usa.ftw]

From T.W. Bicknell's 1913 genealogy book page 289 and 290

Mary Ellen Bicknell, the daughter of Nathaniel and Fanny
(Thompson) Bicknell, in whose veins also coursed the red blood
of Hannah Dustin, was born January 9th, 1835, in old Vermont,
near the little town of Jericho, in Chittenden County. Much of
her education was gotten at the district school, with a few terms
at the village academy.

She was nearly 18 when she moved with her people to Wis-
consin and settled near Lake Mills, in Jefferson County. In
1857 she married James Entwistle, and to them were born three
children, the two sons dying in childhood.

In 1873 she came with her husband and daughter to Los
Angeles, Cal., which was then little more than a Spanish Pueblo,
and bought a ranch south of the town, where she resided until
the death of her husband, in 1901, when she went to live with
her daughter, Mrs. Lula (Entwistle) Hinton, in Los Angeles,
until 1906, when she again moved with her daughter, who was
then Mrs. Lula (Entwistle) Hinton-Letteau, to Sierra Madre,
Cal., where she then resided with her son-in-law and grandchil-
dren, since the death of her daughter, in 1911.

A woman of strong personality and great ability, her path-
way has been mostly through the hedges, and marked by deeds
of charity and kindness, rather than by public acts and club
Many a disheartened soul, many a discouraged heart, has
found in her a stimulus that has enabled them to again face life

Always just in her judgments, she has also possessed the
courage to point out a weakness or a fault and to suggest the
remedy. Big-hearted, generous, she has ever been anxious to
divide of her best with friend or acquaintance (foes she has
none). When in her own home, as also in that of her daughter's,
no one ever came who went away empty-handed. Filled to the
brim with the old-time hospitality, and making a recreation and
pleasure out of work, no guest has ever felt unwelcome.

Never telling of her charities, only those who have received
of her bounty have realized her magnanimity.

To the sick she has ever been a true "Mother in Israel," as
was her mother before her. Always appreciative of the beauty
and blessings of life, she has found happiness where another
would have seen only a dreary waste.

Good books have been her constant companions, and the Book
of Nature second only to her Bible.

She has borne her &osses and her sorrows like a Spartan,
and only when the weight has pressed too heavily in her old age
have her steps sometimes faltered under the burden.

Going about her duties uncomplainingly, with the crown of
three score and ten well-spent years resting upon her whitened
locks, she cheerfully awaits the final summons with the same
unudaunted courage and true faith with which she has met life.

[NI3666] [Usa.ftw]

From T.W. Bicknell's 1913 genealogy book page 290, 291 and 292

John Dustin Bicknell was born June 25th, 1838, in Jericho,
Chittenden County, Vt., and was the elder son of Nathaniel and
Fanny (Thompson) Bicknell, and a direct descendant of Hannah
Dustin. His parents were frugal and industrious farmers, and
he was early taught the value of economy and labor. His
childhood was passed upon his father's farm and in attending the
district school.

When he was I5 years old he moved with his parents to
Jefferson County, Wisconsin, and settled upon a farm five miles
west of Lake Mills, where the summers were spent helping to
plow the virgin soil with an ox team, (and it was then he sol-
enmly vowed he would never be a farmer), and the winters in
attending or teaching school.

He received his academic education at Albion Academy. in
Dane County, Wisconsin.

At the age of 20 he went to Missouri, where he taught school
for two years, when he undertook the task of piloting a wagon
train of 70 people from Missouri across the plains to Northern
California. He was six months making the trip with ox teams
to Knight's Landing Cal., where the company disbanded. He
taught school there and made the acquaintance of General ``Jim~~
Lane, who was his first California friend and benefactor. He
remained at Knight's Landing one year, when he was seized with
the gold fever and went to Montana, but, not realizing his dream,
soon returned to Sacramento. Never relinquishing the desire
and determination for an education, he returned to Wisconsin
early in 1863, and entered the State University at Madison, tak-
ing a three-year literary course, after which he read law with
the then famous firm of Teney & Teney, of Madison, Wis., and
was admitted to the bar of the Supreme Court of Wisconsin in
1865 and engaged in practice in Greenfield, Mo. In February,
1868, he married Maria Hatch, of Jericho, Vt., but she died of
pneumonia within two months at his father's home in Wis-

He returned to his practice in Greenfield, Mo., and in 1871
married Mrs. Nancy (Christian) Dobbins, of that city. To
them were born four children, two of whom are living-Mrs.
Mary (Bicknell) Cates and Mrs. Edna (Bicknell) Bagg-and
both reside in Los Angeles, Cal.

In 1872 he again sought the Western Coast and located in
Los Angeles, Cal., where he engaged in the practice of his pro-
fession. He helped to organize the law firm of McConnel,
Bicknell & Rothschild, which firm existed until 1875, when he
was associated with Stephen M. White, as Bicknell & White,
until 1886, when Mr. White retired to take an active part in
the politics of the state, having been elected United States Sena-
tor of California, and the firm became Bicknell & Denis. In
1890 he formed a partnership with Walter D. Trask, under the
name of Bicknell & Trask, and later as Bicknell, Trask & Gibson,
and at the time he retired from active practice, in 1908, the
firm was known as Bicknell, Gibson, Trask & Crutcher, one of
the ablest and strongest law firms of the West. As an investi-
gator of land titles and in corporation matters, he had few, if
any, peers among the members of the California bar. He was
the original attorney for the defense in the legal fight of General
Rosecrans to establish title to a large tract south of Los Angeles,
which was one of the old Mexican grants. The case was one
of the most important of its kind ever tried in the courts in the
West, and Rosecrans' claim was established through Bicknell's
brilliant work. For many years he was the attorney for the
Southern Pacific Railroad, leaving them to incorporate and take
charge of the Los Angeles interurban lines for Howard E.
Huntington. He conducted both this and the Southern Pacific
business with such ability that he made for himself a notable record.
He was Vice-President of the First National Bank for years,
until failing health compelled him to relinquish many of his
responsible positions.

He was one of the incorporators and the President of the
Hollenbeck Home for the Aged, and was always very proud of
the active part he had been privileged to take in bringing that
institution into existence.

He was also one of the incorporators and the President of the
Western Union Oil Company, and was the builder and owner of
the Bicknell Block on Broadway, and the owner of other large
realty interests in the city and county of Los Angeles, Cal.

He was a Mason and Knight Templar and a member of the
Jonathan and California Clubs. Besides being for thirty-seven
years one of the most prominent lawyers in Los Angeles, he
also ranked among the foremost business men of the city.

He died July 7th, 1911, after a sickness of many months'
duration, in the city of his adoption, and was mourned by a host
of loyal friends and business associates, as well as by his imme-
diate family and relatives.

As a man, in his home, a citizen or lawyer, he stood "four
square to every wind that blew," so that in all his private, and
public life there was no occasion for a breath of suspicion or

[NI3682] [Usa.ftw]

From T.W. Bicknell's 1913 genealogy book page 293, 294 and 295


On a farm, near the little town of Jericho, Chittenden County,
Vt., at the foot of old Mansfield Mountain, Frederick Thompson
Bicknell, the second son of Nathaniel and Fanny (Thompson)
Bicknell, was born April 20th, 1842.

In the spring of 1852 he moved with his parents to Jefferson
County, Wisconsin, and settled upon a farm near Lake Mills,
where he continued his education at the district school, remain-
ing at home during the summer, however, to assist with the
work upon the farm.

From 17 years of age until he was 18, he attended Albion
Academy, Dane County, Wis., during the spring and fall terms,
but taught school winters to earn money with which to continue
his education.

On the 15th of August, 1862, he enlisted at Madison, Wis.,
in Co. A, Twenty-third Wisconsin Volunteers, with Captain
Vilas commanding the company.

His service was in the Department of the Mississippi, first
under General U. S. Grant, from the beginning to the end of the
Vicksburg campaign; then through the Red River campaign
tinder General Banks and General A. J. Smith; then the
Mobile-Alabama campaign under General Canby. He fought in
thirteen pitched battles-Chickasaw Bayou, Champion Hills,
Black River Bridge, Vicksburg, Jackson, Mansfield, Pleasant
Hill, Bayou Teche, Spanish Fort, and Mobile-besides innumer-
able skirmishes. He was in active duty from the time he
enlisted until the close of the great Rebellion, being mustered
out of service July 4th, 1865, at Mobile, Ala. He was never
wounded; never sick enough to be off duty for a day; never
asked for a furlough, and was never taken prisoner, though many
times he narrowly escaped being captured by the enemy, and
many times had the bullets whizz too close to feel comfortable,
one grazing the top of his head, one shattering the stock of his
gun, and one cutting a hole through his coat sleeve, and the
exploding of a shell knocking him senseless, but he returned
home unscathed and with his health unimpaired, and in 1866 he
entered the State University at Madison, XVis., to resume his
education, then studied medicine in the office of Dr. John
Faville, of Madison, who at that time was considered one of the
ablest physicians of that city. In the fall of 1868 he entered Rush
Medical College in Chicago, Ill., from which he graduated in
1870, and went to Neosho, Mo., and became a partner of Dr.
Louis Wills, where he practiced his profession for three years.
In May, 1872, he married Henrietta Cooper, of Lake Mills, Wis.,
who died in June, 1873, leaving an infant daughter-now Mrs.
Etta Bicknell Zombro, of Los Angeles, Cal. He closed his prac-
tice there, and, accompanied by his former preceptor, Dr. John
Faville, of Madison, Wis., spent the following winter in New
York City, taking a post-graduate course at Bellevue College,
attending selected lectures at the College of Physicians and Sur-
geons and the New York Medical College and the clinics of the
Woman's Hospital.

He was thus under the instruction of the then famous physi-
cians and surgeons, Doctors Marion Synims, Peasley, Flint, Gay-
lord Thomas, Post, Van Buren, Marks, Mott, Alonzo Clark,
Loomis, Janeway and other noted men of that day. In 1874 he
went to Panamint, Cal., as physician and surgeon of the Pana-
mint Mining and Milling Company, owned by Senators Jones
and Stewart, of Nevada.

On the close of the camp he served in the same capacity at
the Caso Mine at Darwin, Cal., then went to Independence, Inyo
County, where he had charge of the County Hospital. He later
went to Bishop Creek, a larger town in the valley, but, wishing
for a still larger field, and the zest that comes only with strong
competition, he moved to Los Angeles, Cal., after a short trip to
Wisconsin for his little daughter, Etta, who had been cared for
by her grandmother after the mother's death.

In 1882 he married Carrie E. Fargo, of Lake Mills, Wis.,
and proceeded to make a home and to build an enviable reputa-
tion as physician, surgeon and citizen.

During these succeeding years he has made frequent trips to
the great centers of medical and surgical knowledge and has kept
in close touch with and abreast of the wonderful and rapid devel-
opment and advancement of medicine and surgery.

He helped to organize and was made President of Gynecology
of the Medical College which was established in Los Angeles in
1884, and now ranks among the highest in the West.

He has been President of the Southern California Medical
Society; was one of the charter members and the President of
the Los Angeles Medical Society; was one of the founders and
the President for the first ten years of the California Hospital
in Los Angeles, which, under his leadership, has grown from a
small beginning into a great institution.

He has for many years been a member of the State Medical
Society of California and the American Medical Association,
the Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce, and the Masonic Order,
Southern California Lodge 278, F. and A.

He is one of the charter members of the Stanton Post of the
G. A. R. and the University Club of Los Angeles.

His strict attention to his profession and his naturally retir-
ing disposition have alone prevented him from occupying promi-
nent and public positions which have been offered him.

Being eminently fitted for his chosen field of labor by a nat-
urally quiet, gentle manner and an absorbing love for the science
and practice of his profession, and possessing to a marked
degree an inherent intuition as diagnostician, and a courage
and faith undaunted, he has succeeded where others might have
become disheartened. He has been a friend as well as physician
to the sick, and a friend as well as advisor and instructor, to
the medical student, and has given freely of his time, strength and
skill to the deserving poor without recompense. By the profes-
sion he has been tenderly named the "Father of Surgery," which
sobriquet they feel he richly deserves, not alone because he was
the pioneer of surgery in Los Angeles, but also because he has
ever been free and generous of his knowledge and skill in medi-
cine and surgery with his colleagues, and especially so to the
students and the young practitioners, many of whom
affectionately call him "Dad" Bicknell.

Not for financial gain, but for the love of the work, the
honor of the profession and the relief of suffering humanity, has
he toiled and sacrificed. Well does he deserve the reward of a
clear conscience, the respect of his fellow-associates, and the
honorable place he fills in the profession and in the hearts of his
patients and friends, and the devoted love of his immediate

[NI3698] [Usa.ftw]


[Brøderbund Family Archive #110, Vol. 1, Ed. 4, Social Security Death Index: U.S., Social Security Death Index, Surnames from A through L, Date of Import: Feb 13, 1997, Internal Ref. #]

Individual: Bicknell, Albert
Birth date: Apr 18, 1918
Death date: Jun 15, 1994
Social Security #: 374-18-7673
Last residence: 30142
State of issue: MI

[NI3704] [Usa.ftw]

From Phyllis Bicknell Carroll's 1981 book page 13

Emery was graduate of Meriden, Connecticut High School and of the New York State Merchant Marine Academy. He was a veteran of WWI & II serving in the U.S. Navy and the U.S. Coast Guard.

[NI3779] [Usa.ftw]

From T.W. Bicknell's 1913 genealogy book page 170

Alfred was a mill owner and builder, and engaged in
the lumber business in Underhill, Vermont.
He said, in 1881 : "I have held nearly every town office in Underhill;
have served as a Justice of the Peace for ten years and
represented the town in the Legislature of Vermont two years."

[NI3801] From T.W. Bicknell's 1913 genealogy book page 297:

Orlando served during the Civil War with the
Nine Months' Volunteers from Vermont, in 1862. In 1881 he
was a salesman and collector for Hurst & Bradley, of Chicago,
and later was a partner and officer of a large manufacturing
company, with a residence at Oak Hill, Illinois.


HTML created by GED2HTML v3.6-WIN95 (Jan 18 2000) on 06/10/2008 11:18:41 AM GMT Standard Time.